The WRBA has been a part of Jail Ministry for many years, but there is a bigger need than just ministering within the jails. Many other people are affected by crime and the consequences. Restorative Justice/Jail Ministry was created to serve the offenders in jail, ex-offenders once they are released, family members of the offenders, and those affected by the crime. These people are often overlooked, usually because it’s unclear how best to support them. Restorative Justice & Jail Ministry helps the community pull together to address these issues.
What We Do
The goal of the WRBA Restorative Justice & Jail Minsitry is to demonstrate God’s love so that others can find true freedom in Jesus Christ. We pursue this goal through:
- Worship Services for inmates (Sunday afternoons) and their families (Tuesday evenings)
- Bible Studies for inmates (Tuesday and Thursday mornings)
- Providing Bibles and literature for inmates
- Serving as a point of connection between inmates and various local agencies
How You Can Get Involved
- Talk to your pastor about creating a Restorative Justice & Jail Ministry Team in your church.
- Volunteer to lead or facilitate a worship service or Bible study (all teachers must be ordained ministers)*
- Donate money for Bibles and literature
*All volunteers who serve in the jail must be approved by jail administration. To apply, select the 'Volunteer Application' below and fill out online, once completed print your application, sign, scan and send electronically to Lt. Sue Tweedle. If you are unable to send electronically, your application can be mailed to:
McLennan County Jail
Attn: Lt. Sue Tweedle
3201 State Hwy. 6, Waco, TX 76705.
Donating funds for Bibles
There are strict guidelines as to what is allowed in the jail, so any book has to be approved before it can be used. The WRBA works with the local authorities and provides the jail with approved Bibles. However, the increasing number of requests for Bibles and Christian Literature has exceeded the monthly orders and allowance. Donations to help with Bible purchases go a long way in keeping the jail’s shelves stocked. You can donate by check (made out to WRBA with a note of “Jail Bibles”) at the WRBA office, mail it to P.O. Box 1848, Waco, TX 76703 or click the Donate button below.